Sunday, January 15, 2006

10 years in storage

My dad died in 1995 when Dan and I first started dating. He collected trains. It wasn't just a little hobby, he had ALOT of trains. After he died my sister and I packed them all up and put them in storage. Boxes and boxes of trains, tracks, buildings, cars, and every other thing you can think of having to do with trains. The trains have been in storage since. Since we are moving I decided I would like to go and take some of the trains for Danny. He LOVES trains. It would make my dad happy. So today, 10 years later, we unpacked all the trains and divided them among all of us. It was very sentimental. We all played with them when we were kids and we all have different memories of them. There were more than enough for all of us to come home with several boxes of them. I think my dad would have loved to see all 5 of his grandchildren (only 1 of which was born before he died) enjoying the trains together and his kids remembering them.

We won the bid on our house today in Illinois. There will be enough room for us to set up a track for the kids and us to play with.

3 comments:

Veronica said...

Woohoo on the house in IL!!! That's great :) And room for a scrapbook studio - right? :D

How great that you were able to divide the trains up between you. I am sure your kids will get a lot of pleasure out of playing with them - and it's a nice way for them to connect with their Grandpa.

The Stopper Family said...

My FIL and husband are both train fanatics. My son is getting that way. Its a great hobby to share across generations - my kids can't go into "Opa's House" without running to the train layout and asking him to run the rains.

Mel said...

That is great that you have such a wonderful memory to pass down.
So did you take pictures of you all dividing things up?

Empress4